Prostitution is not a choice
- Three quarters of women involved in street-based prostitution started when they were children.
- Three quarters say that poverty was the main reason they got involved.
- Women involved in prostitution are 18 times more likely to be murdered than other people.
Most women say they want to leave prostitution, but don’t get the help they need to be able to do so.
What we are calling for in Tower Hamlets:
- An end to the arrests of women involved in prostitution.
- Arrests of those who buy sex and exploit women.
- More support services to help women leave prostitution.
Sweden made these changes in 1999. Since then, street-based prostitution has been halved.
What you can do
- Ask Tower Hamlets police to stop arresting women involved in prostitution
- Ask Tower Hamlets police to arrest more of the men who buy sex
- Ask Tower Hamlets council to provide more support services for women involved in street-based prostitution