Following the success of our first alternative Jack the Ripper tour, The Forgotten Women of Tower Hamlets, we’re running the tour again on Tuesday, 11 June 2013. This historical walking tour remembers and celebrates the lives of the five women murdered by Jack the Ripper – Mary Ann Nichols, Annie Chapman, Elizabeth Stride, Catherine Eddowes and Mary Jane Kelly. Rather than visit the places where the women were murdered, we take you to the streets where they lived, talk about their lives, and discuss the links through to women’s lives in Tower Hamlets today.
Tag Archives: tour
The Forgotten Women of Tower Hamlets is an evening of discussions about street-based prostitution in Tower Hamlets organised by LIFT and Toynbee Hall’s Safe Exit project. This event will take place at Toynbee Hall on Thursday 21st of March 2013. It is free and open to local residents, groups and organisations who work with vulnerable women.
6:00 pm: The Alternative Jack the Ripper Tour
The evening will start at 6 with an historical tour to celebrate the lives and commemorate the deaths of the victims of Jack the Ripper. Meet at Toynbee Hall for a prompt 6pm start. Please note spaces are limited. If you are interested in this part of the event please register by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
6:45 pm: A panel discussion on prostitution
Presenting recent research and projects which support women to leave prostitution, hearing from women who have experienced extreme trauma and survived. Speakers include:
- Lisa Young from Eaves will present findings from their research with women leaving prostitution about what support they need to exit
- Clare G is an author and a survivor of prostitution
- Rebecca Perry manages the Safe Exit project at Toynbee Hall, supporting women to exit prostitution
- Amy Doyle is from the Chrysalis Project, providing accommodation and support for women in prostitution
- Fiona Dwyer is the Violence Against Women & Girls Strategy Manager at the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, and will talk about their approach to tackling this issue.